How to Choose a CMS Platform that Support SEO Goals
Reading Time: 3 minutes
A Content Management System is the basic foundation of website content. If the base is not strong then, it won’t support the marketing goals of the website such as SEO. CMS website design is in trend these days. Selecting a CMS is indeed very important and a major task. It should not be done without proper planning and analysing the overall online content strategy. The nice technicalities of updating and managing a CMS is still done by the IT department. Because they are the IT people, they can’t think beyond setting up the CMS right— making it run smoothly and managing it well. However, chances are quite high that they will miss out on the goals of search engine optimization. SEO is not taken as an issue of concern by the IT department whose results can be tragic. Below you will see five ways by which you can assure that a strong SEO strategy is been incorporated in CMS:
- Get involved from the very beginning: No doubt, IT department ensures the smooth running of the CMS but you can’t handover the entire project to them. The marketing team needs to get involved in the work flow from the very step of installation. This is the only way to ensure that you marketing goals will be addressed. Implementing a CMS can be a boon to SEO efforts, but it can be a disaster because many CMS systems were not designed with search engine marketing in mind.
- Title Tag Customization & Rules: It is important to ensure that your CMS should allow for title tag customization not only on page specific level, but also enable rules for different sections of the website. For instance, you have static pages, blog section, and a forum in your website. You might want to create a rule that all blog pages would begin with “Yoursite Blog > ” while forum pages used “title of post > Yoursite Forum.”
- Meta Tag Customization: Meta tags are the HTML code components that search engines use to evaluate what a page is all about. There are a number of CMSs that do not allow you to customize title, and assign unique description meta tags to the content. There is no denying to the fact that search engine crawlers do give importance and due consideration to the meta tags to understand your content.
- Keyword rich URLs: Making keywords rich URLs is very important and is one of the page optimizing strategy to rank higher on the search engine results. Systems that do not use dynamic URLs often do not let you create URLs that include keywords. Nowadays, search-friendly content management systems should feature custom URL creation.
- Control over Pagination: The pagination (though not done intentionally) can hamper your search engine rankings results. But it can be controlled through careful use of nofollows and meta noindex tags will make your important content get more link juice and crawler’s attention. This is indeed an important parameter in choosing right CMS solution.
- Alt Tags in Image: The purpose of anchor text in text links is solved by Alt tags. This will be providing image link as well as indexable content to the search engine crawlers. So, it is recommended that images in a CMS’ navigational elements should preferably use CSS-Image Replacement rather than mere alt tags.
- Categorization System: If the CMS is not providing a proper categorization structure, then it is a matter of concern. CMS that offer customizable navigation panels will be most successful in this respect.
- Applications of CSS: The applications of CSS in CMS should allow users to modify how a strong, headline, or list element appears visually. However if they fail to provide so, the users may opt out for semantic mark up process.
It is very important to select the best suitable CMS which caters to your all business needs. Hope the above mentioned attributes would help you to select the right CMS platform. We might have missed out some your favorite parameter to choose the CMS. If it is so, please write your opinions in comments.
- 152 total views
- Aug 5, 2010
- Category : Cms