Joomla is a powerful content management system which offers a lot of flexibility and extensibility. Joomla 1.6 version has a lot more features and extensions which help in the better management of the website content. This has a far deeper impact on the website and its functionality. Let us discuss about them in detail.
1. Considerable upgrade in server requirements: With this improvement, you will need to make sure that your hosting provider meets these minimum requirements, that is, PHP5.2+ and MySQL 5.0.4+
2. No legacy mode: It is necessary that all extensions run Joomla 1.6 native. For this, some changes in the code will be required to be done to bring extensions in line with the new Access Control List Features. Joomla 1.0 components cannot be run in legacy as they were in Joomla 1.5
3. Improved access control list features: The Access Control List or ACL allows to add new groups, access levels and setting new ‘view’ fields for articles at minimum. The new and improved ACL offers three types of rules. They allow to create new user groups and new access levels. The rule one will permit certain actions like managing languages and the installer. Rule two will permit actions such as adding and publishing articles. Rule three will permit actions like allowing the public to view all articles.
4. Better default template layouts: There will be legacy which will enable the use of Joomla 1.5 templates in Joomla 1.6. Template manager will make it much easier to modify templates through the Joomla! Administrator pages. With template styles, you can easily create minor template variations, which can then be assigned to specific pages on the website.
5. No ‘sections’: Sections will be removed and there will be categories which will give improved content hierarchies, that is, nested hierarchies. This will have an effect on front-end layout and the arrangement of menu items. These nested categories will be supported for each core extension like articles, newsfeeds, banners etc. With infinite layers of categories, creating a representation of your site map in Joomla will be extremely easy.
6. URLs will change: As the sections will be removed, the URLs will change and it will have a major impact on a site’s search engine optimization efforts. Meta-keywords and meta-descriptions can be assigned to articles, categories, and menu items and you can easily add a site name to the HTML page title.
7. Re-written language files: There will no longer be spaces and punctuations in language file keys. All the core language strings are reworked with namespacing. This will require new local translation to be created.
8. New administration user interface: As there will be changes in user interface, it will require the users to get used to the new set-up. The Joomla 1.6 User Interface will allow people unfamiliar with Joomla to find key tasks faster.
9. Multiple user groups: Joomla 1.6 allows users to be placed in more than one User Group. It will allow user groups to be added or modified and have a different set of permissions assigned to them.
With all these new features and functionality, Joomla 1.6 will definitely have a major impact on websites. It will extend their functionality to a major extent and will enable the convenient updates and edits for content.
Choosing right content management system for your business website is a very crucial step that needs a focused set of planning. An ideal CMS platform or good CMS […] - Read More