In the present time, it is not wrong to say that websites have become the first medium of interaction between the company and the customers. Somebody has rightly said, “First Impression is the last Impression”.
Whenever we need any product/ service, the first thing we do is to search for the concerned providers and visit their websites. If users do not find your website good and appealing enough, do you think that would they ever land back on your website ever! Or you think that once you made a beautiful website and your responsibility is over.
Or you expect that once you are finished working on your website design, customers will automatically keep coming forever and ever and no more efforts are required on your part.
On the contrary, we cannot deny that website maintenance is a liability for you as developer/owner forever till you want your website to exist. Below we have listed seven useful tips for Website maintenance that you have to follow no matter what:
1) Refresh your website with new content on regular basis: We cannot deny the statement that Content is said to be the king. Though it is not the only factor for the success of your website but still very important. Keep reviewing your static content for corrections or updates. In case you are managing a blog where you cannot alter the previous blogs or news content.
In that case, you need to post new entries that will invite new comments and visitors. The policies and terms conditions pages also need to be updated for legal issues. If there is any page including some kind of service agreement or contracts regarding services then that also need to be updated, and all these activities should be done at regular intervals of time.
2) Continuous Check for Multiple Browser Compatibility of your Website: There are some commonly used browsers like Firefox, IE, Google Chrome, Opera, safari which are mostly used by people worldwide.
You need to ensure that all the aspects of your website designs are working in perfect order in all the browsers. You may use Browser shots for viewing the screenshots of your website in multiple browsers and on multiple platforms.
3) Keep a check on broken links: You need to check for broken links at regular intervals of time. Broken links can earn a bad reputation for the company. The links which are not working or taking the visitors to some other undesirable place may irritate the users.
Sometimes, it may happen that business which is linked to you have been shut down, so there is no point in keeping their link. So make a routine to check for all these kinds of annoying links and remove them.
4) Take care of the Speed: Patience is a virtue which almost everybody lacks. If your site is taking unnecessary time to load, then my friend, you are in big trouble and you need to do something about it with no delay.
You may also use different tools for testing the loading speed of web pages like Yahoo! YSlow, Google Page Speed, Internet Explorer’s Page test etc. Minimize the number of graphics on each page. Do not use more than two animated links per page. This may resolve your loading issue.
5) Allow Users to Interact with you: Always give the users space to express their opinions or interact with you in the form of comments, feedbacks, trackbacks, suggestions etc. They might tell you some improvements, errors, bugs about your website designs that you can fix out later on. Incorporate this interaction in your website maintenance activity as you will be benefited out of this. Always seek comments from people on social networking sites, design forums etc. Ask people to review your site. The positive and negative responses can help improving functionality and usability of your website design in the long run.
6) Make your website Search Engine Friendly: Well Structured, W3C compliance, pixel perfect and Semantic mark up will automatically make your website search engine friendly. Do other SEO practices, like adding meta descriptions, an improvement on title tags, optimizing keyword phrases etc. This will help your website to gain high search engine rankings.
7) Website Analytics: It is very important to monitor your website analytics once in a day or two, to get updated about the statistics of the visitors coming and the goal conversions. Let’s say if visitors are coming to your website but the goal conversions are not taking place.
Then you must be careful and analyze your website design. Place the Effective Call to Action buttons in the area of visibility of the readers. You may use the free tool by Google – Google Analytics for website analytics.
A website is never finished. It is always in a state of another more improvement. Creativity has no end. Leaving your site untouched after making it is good for nothing. Keep updating it regularly. If you have any query related to web development or maintenance, you contact PixelCrayons: a leading web development company in India providing web & mobile app development, designing and web maintenance services to clients across the world.