Tips for E-Commerce Website Design to Improve the Sales
Reading Time: 3 minutes
Website design plays an important role in E-commerce business. It can create positive as well as negative effects on the sales. The better-designed your site is, the better your chances of making the sale. A number of researches have been carried out to figure out the purchasing patterns of the online shoppers. The findings have revealed that the buying pattern of online shoppers is highly influenced by the ease of the navigation. If customers have enjoyable experience navigating through your website then, the probability is quite high that they will again land back on your website in the future. Below we have listed few tips which you can incorporate into your E-commerce website design to improve sales..
- Carry out usability testing: Find one willing test shopper — not an employee — and plop him down in front of your site to get immediate, real-person feedback. It is important to note that not many E-commerce websites run this user tests. Nielsen, whom The New York Times called “Guru of Web Page Usability” says. “The best way to do this is to grab as many guinea pigs as possible and record trends as they develop.” He also stated the three main reasons for which an E-commerce store loses the sales: Poor merchandising, Poor information display, Lower credibility of the online shopper.
- Ease of Navigation and finding Information: This law is not as simple as it seems to be. Almost every designer knows this rule yet, significant number of E-commerce stores fail to follow this simple rule. A site must enable customers to quickly narrow down its list of product to the desired item. Don’t even offer too many choices so that people just get confused and leave the website without buying anything. Also, make a good choice of shopping cart software. Buyers have hunger for more and more information. Even more information is less for them. Product details are very important. First, describe the product in comprehensible specifics. Then, offer the ability to go deeper into more specific product details for those who want it.
- Effect of Credibility: Credibility plays an important role in making a buying decision by online shoppers. As shoppers are going to disclose all their financial details so they want the safety assurance in exchange. “There are different questions in their mind” says, Nielsen. Like – Are you going to give me the product? If it doesn’t work can I get it returned? Are you going to spam me forever? Are you going to sell my name to all kinds of porn sites? You do not need to do much about it. Just by giving a short statement on the website that ‘We are not going to share your email address with anyone’ would be more than enough. These small things make a large difference in the end. Have some photographs on your About section so people can see the CEO. Have a photo of your building or warehouse. Photos of real people do more to boost your image, no matter that they don’t look as good!
- Relate the interface with the product: For instance, if you have a website meant for kids, the interface should be bright colored, more of toying giving impressions. Though kids are not going to buy the things, but it affects the psychology of the buyer. These are the sales strategies that are really specific to the product you’re selling or the types of customers you’re addressing.
- Advertisements: It is quite good to feed customers with ads while they surf on your E-Commerce store. But you need to be very careful while designing the ads and presenting them to the customers. Internet surfers have become fed up of Internet ads. So never commit a mistake of bombarding at shoppers with supposedly eye-catching ads. Never make use of pop-ups as they give a dirty feeling to the customers.
By deploying above sales strategies, you can definitely improve the sales of your E-commerce store. Unlike in physical store, shoppers can’t feel and touch the products in E-commerce. Also they don’t come in direct interaction with seller. So it depends on the seller whether he succeeds in providing users with an amazing visiting experience to the shoppers or it is otherwise. Those who succeed become market leaders in the E-commerce business and those who do not succeed, get lost in the crowd.
519 total views
- Aug 5, 2010
- Category : eCommerce