Choosing an ideal CMS (Content Management System) is one of the most crucial decisions to make when creating a website. But, there are plethora of options in the market, with various price levels and different investments in hardware and maintenance. Here is pie chart showing the market share of different CMS’s:
You can clearly see that the most popular choice of users is WordPress, followed by Joomla!, and Drupal. Although all these CMS’s perform the same task to manage a website’s structure, images, pages, and products in one user interface, these will define the website’s future backend usability, scalability, and features.
• Do You Actually Need CMS Or Simply a Static Website?
First of all, you need to find out that you need a CMS or a static website. The following flowchart will help you to find your actual requirement between CMS and Static Website:
• So, Which CMS is Best for You?
The best way to select the right cms web development platform for your website is to read pros and cons of each CMS and find which CMS best suits your business’ needs. Let’s have a look at the upsides and the downsides of top three content management systems viz. WordPress, Joomla and Drupal that help you choose the ideal CMS for your website:
Here is a video for you to know a little bit about Top 8 CMS Development Software Tools
• WordPress website development: An Easy to Use CMS
Started as a blogging tool, today millions of websites have implemented WordPress as their CMS. There are so many leading and well-known names, including NY Times, CNN, Mashable and others that use WordPress. The below list of positive features will help you understand why the WordPress has emerged as a popular CMS system.
1. It can accommodate multiple authors and each of them can use the CMS for content generation with a greater degree of flexibility.
2. A large developers community of WordPress will always available for you to seek expert assistance on any issue that you may come across.
3. It comes with an extensive library of a variety of plugins, allowing you to carry out your custom developments to please your clients.
4. WordPress is well-known for its highly intuitive UI that allows you to quickly install the software and set up your blog. You can easily use themes, templates and plug-ins to create a website that can meet your or your client’s requirements.
5. With WordPress, you need not to worry about on-page SEO. There are several types of plugins that can bring you the SEO benefits.
6. You can use appropriate themes and plugins and can use WordPress to build a company blog, an e-commerce store or a video website. It can help you meet your various purposes on the web.
However, it has some limitations as well, and one should learn about those disadvantages too when it comes to decision making.
1. Since thousands of developers and their plugins are used freely in the WordPress CMS, it is often vulnerable to hacking and security threats. You may need to take help of third-party plugins to make your WordPress site more safe and secure.
2. You need to upgrade plugins on a regular basis so that you can secure your site from hacking. Moreover, older plugins are always incompatible to the security updates that are released by the WordPress team.
• Joomla: A Cool CMS
Joomla is a powerful open-source CMS software that has been implemented on millions of websites the world over. Some of the popular names using Joomla are Cloud.com, Linux.com and others.
1. It’s a flexible and easy-to-use solution with a well-structured UI. However, it’s not as simple as WordPress and one needs to learn things a bit.
2. Joomla too boasts of its strong developer community and which brings a host of plugins for custom developments.
3. Joomla comes with five types of extensions. These are components, templates, plugins, modules and languages. These extensions help develop custom websites, by choosing from different design elements, set of features and capabilities.
4. This is more capable for enterprise class CMS, with the powerful capabilities of handling content in bulk.
1. In Joomla, you need to learn several things before you jump into developments. So, it may prove somehow time-consuming initially and gradually you can master the expertise of Joomla developments.
2. Unlike WordPress, you don’t get any plugin to make your Joomla site search engine friendly. You will have to do lots of work to gain SEO advantages for your Joomla site.
• Drupal: Web Developers Dream
Drupal web development is also a powerful CMS and is more liked for developing data-intensive websites. Since it is user friendly, its developer community has been growing rapidly since its introduction in 2001. You can see the examples of Joomla development on websites like Data.gov.uk and Whitehouse.gov.
1. Drupal is very flexible, allowing to create simple blogs to powerful CMS for your websites.
2. It is very user friendly and brings a lot of possibilities for the developers.
3. Drupal has been designed with the inherent benefits of SEO, and thus allows you to develop search engine friendly websites with strong SEO capabilities.
4. It is a scalable solution and allows thousands of users to access the content simultaneously without creating any issue.
1. You will miss the free plugins and themes in Drupal for your developments.
2. You need to have a strong coding foundation to learn using Drupal. It requires you to develop a deep understanding of its modules for integrating them in your website.
So, you can see that all three have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. However, their use should basically depend upon the type of goal you have to achieve on the web. More importantly, customization and SEO are the important parameters of measuring success of a CMS. Since all the merits and demerits have been discussed here in detail, now you can better play the role of a judge.
If you find difficulty in choosing the right CMS for your business, you can contact to PixelCrayons which is a leading CMS website development company in India. With a team of skilled professionals, we provide best-in-domain CMS Development Services to our clients.