WordPress 3.0 has constantly been a ‘Hot Topic’ for last so many days. In our post Highlighting Features of WordPress 3.0, we mentioned forthcoming features of WordPress 3.0 because of which WP users were just eagerly waiting for the new release. We feel so delighted to inform our readers that WordPress 3.0 has been released. Explore out more below:
— WordPress 3.0 is the thirteenth major release of WordPress
— It is the end-product of half a year of work by 218 contributors
— The major features include:
- Allows management of multiple sites from single WordPress installation.
- New Default Theme ‘Twenty Ten‘.
- Custom header and background APIs for theme developers.
- Improved Custom post types and custom taxonomies including hierarchical (category-style) support.
- Merge of MU and WordPress makes it possible to run one blog or ten million from the same installation.
- Lighter Interface facilitates the 1,217 bug fixes and feature enhancements, bulk updates and much more…
WordPress developers would definitely be excited about this new release.
If you think that WordPress development team would now start working on WordPress 3.1, then you are not right. Actually, the team is going to take a release cycle off to focus on all of the things around WordPress. Since the growth of WP community is just accelerating at fast pace, resulted into over 10.3 million downloads of version 2.9. So their future plans would include the division of the team into ninja/pirate teams focused on different areas of the around-WordPress experience, including the showcase, Codex, forums, profiles, update and compatibility APIs, theme directory, plugin directory, mailing lists and so on. Now they focus would be shifting from core software development to making the WP better than what it is today. They think that this investment of time and efforts would go a long way to make wordpress.org grow on larger scale.