Many modern web developers use their own frameworks and development tools which make their work faster, efficient, and convenient. By using these tools, web developers try to upgrade themselves to the latest development in web technologies. Web development framework comparison is essential to keep abreast with the techs.
A most successful web developer has to be fast, adaptive, and reliable in using the best practices to get the work done. The most important thing for any web developer should be the command of any programming language. In addition, they should be updated about the latest happenings in the world of technologies.
In this blog, we will compare the best web development frameworks.
Web development frameworks are categorized into two parts.
A. Front-End Framework
The list of best front-end frameworks is given below:
Advantages and Features of Angular
- An angular web application is based on HTML and TypeScript code, which defines how the web page will look.
- It works in simple words like component is a kind of an object where(HTML tags and their values), how(logical aspect), and where(Custom tags in index.html where the components should be placed).
- The advantage of Angular is that it allows using dynamic data to create a web application rather than using a static HTML website.
Disadvantages of Angular
The disadvantages of Angular are as follows:
- No backward compatibility with Angular 1.x
- The web developer has to get familiar with TypeScript before starting angular development work.
- Angular might not look SEO-friendly because indexing text is not directly there in HTML.
- Developers who want to create simple, dynamic-looking websites can choose Angular as their primary web development framework.
Advantages and Features of React
- React is all about fast rendering views. Updating DOM is very slow, especially when you try to update or display a considerable amount of data.
- React allows us to re-render not the whole set of elements but just changed ones only.
- When you create an app using React, it creates a virtual DOM next to the real one having the same structure.
- When the HTML is updated, React first updates virtual DOM and then finds the difference between it and the real one.
Disadvantages of React
- You cannot create a full-featured server-side application using React if you move to another development framework other than rewriting all HTML codes from scratch.
- It’s also quite complicated to move complex Photoshop or any other sketch to a JSX file.
- React can be used by developers who want full-featured based web portals.
Advantages and Features of Vue.js
- The most valuable feature of Vue.js is its reactivity. Moreover, unlike React, Vue.js does not use JSX in its components file.
- Vue.js is designed for fast UI development. Moreover, developers can use it separately for front-end prototyping.
Disadvantages of Vue.js
- Doesn’t provide features “in the box” for integrating data from the server. You will need additional tools and libraries to make that work.
- It’s a new web development framework with very little documentation and plugins than any competitors.
- Vue.js can be used by businesses and startups who want single-page web applications only.
- Being just 20 kilobytes in size, Vue.js makes it relatively easy for developers to download the files instantly.
One familiar with Vue.js might find it easier to use Svelte, and it is also lightweight and easy to learn.
Advantages and features of Svelte
- Easy communication between the client-side and server-side.
- Svelte has only 15k files, so it makes fewer network requests for loading page resources.
- It has a preloader that can be used either independently or with any other web development framework.
- Svelte is used by programmers who want to create either single-page apps or small applications.
Disadvantages of Svelte
- It has less documentation than other frameworks.
- Svelte is suitable for static websites hosted on any server like Github pages, Amazon S3, etc. In addition, it’s a faster option for personal blogs and portfolios too.
Advantages of Aurelia
- Aurelia uses standard technologies that are supported by most modern browsers. You don’t have to bother about backward compatibility issues.
- It provides access to native features like Web Audio, IndexedDB, and so on.
- It’s lightweight because it does not include modules that are not needed.
Disadvantages of Aurelia
- Developers might find Aurelia challenging to learn because it’s a new framework.
- It only supports one-directional data flow, so it might make large and complex applications complicated and messy.
- Aurelia is suitable for developing large web apps like e-commerce sites, social media sites, etc. It can also be used for creating SPA apps, but it’s not very good for building real-time chat applications.
- Aurelia can be used by developers who want to create web apps that need rich functionality and compatibility across different platforms.
Mithril is not an extensive framework with tons of features, and it’s simple and lightweight, but it can be used to create complex applications. Each component in Mithril is an independent entity that helps the developers when working on more significant projects.
Advantages and Features of Mithril
- It does not need adding external dependencies, so you can directly add Mithril to your project.
- It follows the MVC pattern for better structure and reusability of codes to support large projects efficiently.
Disadvantages of Mithril
- It’s a new framework and not very popular yet, which might cause a lack of community support.
- It does not support browser extensions as large frameworks do, so adding new components or customizations for certain features would be difficult.
- Mithril cannot be used to create web apps like CRM or e-commerce sites, and it’s more suitable for creating landing pages and simple websites.
- If you need a lightweight framework that will boost your project’s performance, then Mithril is perfect for you.
jQuery can be used by developers to make web pages interactive. It is a cross-platform and open-source software that allows web designers to create dynamic websites without writing much code for client-side scripting.
Advantages and Features of jQuery
- jQuery provides many widget sized web development framework elements for creating websites. Programmers use these to develop websites based on their needs.
- It has an API that is easy for developers to understand and use in the development process.
Disadvantages of jQuery
- It is primarily used as a library instead of a full-fledged framework. It is not suitable for large and complex dynamic web applications such as desktop-like interfaces.
- jQuery has many features that require further learning to use in your work, such as AJAX and animation.
- Being a full-fledged framework, not all developers know how to code jQuery, and it requires extensive learning and a highly skilled professional after mastering it.
- jQuery Ajax methods require additional coding for getting a response from the server by using AJAX requests such as GET or POST.
B. Back-End Framework
The list of best back-end web development frameworks is given below:
Laravel is a free open-source PHP web development framework. Laravel is regarded as one of the most popular PHP frameworks. All the Laravel source codes can be availed through GitHub under the terms of the MIT license.
Advantages and Features of Laravel
- Has a large web development community on GitHub.
- Provides fast development cycles.
- Laravel provides convention over configuration.
- Laravel framework documentation is quite well documented.
- Laravel supports a packaging system with a dedicated dependency manager and provides different ways to access the database.
Disadvantages of Laravel
- Quite a slow and new platform for many new developers.
- Fresh developers face problems while executing Laravel codes and classes.
- Community support is less when compared to other platforms.
- Methods included in the reverse routing are very complex.
2. Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails is one of the most famous and reliable open-source MVC frameworks. It was designed to make the development of web applications simple and faster. Moreover, it allows developers to write less significant codes than any other framework.
Advantages and Features of Ruby on Rails
- Ruby on Rails chooses Convention over Configuration.
- Ruby on Rails provides great tooling, which helps developers in delivering more features.
- Libraries for Ruby on Rails are freely available to download.
- Ruby on Rails developer community provides excellent support for test automation.
- The quality of code in Ruby on Rails is reasonable when compared with other development frameworks.
- Any professional developer can use Ruby on Rails to create any web portal.
Disadvantages of Ruby on Rails
- The runtime Speed of Ruby on Rails is very slow when compared with other development frameworks.
- Boot speed is not up to the mark, which hinders its performance.
- It’s tough for a developer to find any documentation related to the codes and configurations in Ruby on Rails.
- Ruby on Rails does not support multithreading like Java and other frameworks do.
3. Spring MVC
Spring MVC is a framework for creating/developing Java applications. Moreover, Spring MVC provides excellent features to build applications on top of the Java EE platform. The Spring MVC framework is open source.
Advantages and Features of Spring MVC
- It’s a lightweight container and can deploy Tomcat servers quickly.
- Deploys Tomcat server on the cross-platform with no dependence on AS.
- Provides lots of API for various domains.
- Can be configured in three ways XML, @nnotation, or java config.
Disadvantages of Spring MVC
- Developers have to add the JAR file to the separate WAR file.
- Spring MVC Java framework is not based on the Java JEE standard.
- Difficulty in getting knowledge of springs.
Django is an open-source full-stacked Python development framework and has support for Python version 3.4. Moreover, it generates the admin panel for configuring the websites made with Python. Django is one of the trending web development frameworks among users.
Advantages and Features of Django
- Django is a well-established framework with many plugins.
- Support for ORM.
- Django supports a clear and defined MVC organization.
- Provides a simple database management system.
- Django is highly customizable when compared with other frameworks.
Disadvantages of Django
- Too big software for small projects.
- Django is a deep learning curve for many developers.
- Processes handle single requests at one time.
Flask is a free, open-source Python web framework. Flask was initially developed by the developers at Pinax, and they released it as an open-source platform in July 2011. The current version of Flask is 0.10.
Advantages and Features of Flask
- The advantages and features that the Flask framework has are as follows:
- Flask has an extensive web development community on the official site.
- Flask is fast and flexible.
- Flask is capable of running on Google App Engine.
Disadvantages of Flask
- Flask is not suitable for large-scale projects.
- Flask doesn’t have built-in form validation.
- It does not support W3C standards and security best practices.
- Flask is comparatively new when compared to other platforms.
- No clear documentation for Flask exists on the web.
Another one of the top web development frameworks in the list is Express. It is a free, open-source web framework written in Node.js. Express was developed by the developers at the project management site company called “Node Ladies,” and they released it as an open-source platform in January 2011.
Advantages and Features of Express
- Express has a vast web community on Google Groups.
- It is used by many corporate companies, including PayPal, Sony, Uber, Walmart Inc., eBay Inc., etc.
Disadvantages of Express
- Express lacks many things, such as a template engine and MVC system.
CakePHP is a modern, contemporary framework that was developed in 2005. It has allowed developers to create apps quickly and easily with its intuitive tools for web development.
Advantages and Features of CakePHP
- CakePHP simplifies web development with built-in libraries for various tasks such as authentication, caching, validation, etc.
- It has an extensive community support network on the official website.
- CakePHP makes it easier for developers to write a model and a controller simultaneously without any code duplication by using the concept of behaviors.
Disadvantages of CakePHP
- CakePHP’s templating system is not suitable for large-scale projects and remains very basic.
- CakePHP is not very flexible.
As mentioned earlier, each web development framework has its own pros and cons. It depends upon the businesses which framework they want to use. However, before coming to any conclusion, it is always suggested to analyze your business goals, target user-base, and budget. The best web development framework should be selected based on your needs and requirements.
If you need something simple but powerful like Bootstrap and Foundation, then my suggestion would be React. All in all, it is entirely your choice what framework you want to use. In the end, though, it’s all about making your business stand out from the rest of the people!
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques. 1 Which one is the best framework for web development?
Angular. Angular is one of the top front-end web development frameworks for programmers. It is an open-based, TypeScript-based web application framework powered by Google Angular Team. It is possible to use Angular to construct vast, high-functioning web apps.
Ques. 2 What are the best web development frameworks for beginners?
Beginners must use Angular.js or React.js, as they provide an easy way to write codes. Also, the MEAN stack is one of the best web development frameworks that you can use to learn web development.
Ques. 3 What are the best web development frameworks for mobile apps?
Ionic, Sencha Touch, and JavaFX Mobile are a few of the top frameworks for creating native mobile applications. But, React Native is considered the best web development framework for mobile apps.
Ques. 4 What are the most popular enterprise web development frameworks?
Java, .Net, and PHP are among the top enterprise-level web development frameworks you can use while developing complex applications in 2021.
Ques. 5 What is the top framework for building web APIs?
Python and Django are considered as a few of the best frameworks that you can use to build RESTful APIs that consume less memory and fetch data quickly. These frameworks also provide support for database management, SEO, and user authentication.
Ques. 6 Which is the fastest web development framework?
Node.js is a high-performance framework that can be used to build data-intensive real-time apps on the web. It works by breaking down code into small units of operation, which allow it to perform more tasks simultaneously and increase overall system efficiency.