Many modern web developers use their own frameworks and development tools which make their work faster, efficient, and convenient. By using these tools, web developers try to upgrade themselves to the latest development in web technologies.
A most successful web developer has to be fast, adaptive, and reliable in using the best practices to get the work done. The most important thing for any web developer should be the command of any programming language. In addition, they should be updated about the latest happenings in the world of technologies.
In this blog, we will discuss the best web development frameworks for 2021. Web development frameworks are categorized into two parts.
A. Front-End Framework
The list of best front-end frameworks is given below:
Advantages and Features of Angular JS
- An angular web application is based on HTML and TypeScript code, which defines how the web page will look.
- It works in simple words like component is a kind of an object where(HTML tags and their values), how(logical aspect), and where(Custom tags in index.html where the components should be placed).
- The advantage of Angular is that it allows using dynamic data to create a web application rather than using a static HTML website.
Disadvantages of Angular JS
The disadvantages of Angular are as follows:
- No backward compatibility with Angular 1.x
- The web developer has to get familiar with TypeScript before starting angular development work.
- Angular might not look SEO-friendly because indexing text is not directly there in HTML.
- Developers who want to create simple, dynamic-looking websites can choose Angular as their primary web development framework.
Advantages and Features of ReactJS
- ReactJS is all about fast rendering views. Updating DOM is very slow, especially when you try to update or display a considerable amount of data.
- ReactJS allows us to re-render not the whole set of elements but just changed ones only.
- When you create an app using ReactJS, it creates a virtual DOM next to the real one having the same structure.
- When the HTML is updated, ReactJS first updates virtual DOM and then finds the difference between it and the real one.
Disadvantages of ReactJS
- You cannot create a full-featured server-side application using ReactJS if you move to another development framework other than rewriting all HTML codes from scratch.
- It’s also quite complicated to move complex Photoshop or any other sketch to a JSX file.
- ReactJS can be used by developers who want full-featured based web portals.
Advantages and Features of Vue.js
- The most valuable feature of Vue.js is its reactivity. Moreover, unlike ReactJS, Vue.js does not use JSX in its components file.
- Vue.js is designed for fast UI development. Moreover, developers can use it separately for front-end prototyping.
Disadvantages of Vue.js
- Doesn’t provide features “in the box” for integrating data from the server. You will need additional tools and libraries to make that work.
- It’s a new web development framework with very little documentation and plugins than any competitors.
- Vue.js can be used by businesses and startups who want single-page web applications only.
- Being just 20 kilobytes in size, Vue.js makes it relatively easy for developers to download the files instantly.
jQuery can be used by developers to make web pages interactive. It is a cross-platform and open-source software that allows web designers to create dynamic websites without writing much code for client-side scripting.
Advantages and Features of jQuery
- jQuery provides many widget sized web development framework elements for creating websites. Programmers use these to develop websites based on their needs.
- It has an API that is easy for developers to understand and use in the development process.
Disadvantages of jQuery
- It is primarily used as a library instead of a full-fledged framework. It is not suitable for large and complex dynamic web applications such as desktop-like interfaces.
- jQuery has many features that require further learning to use in your work, such as AJAX and animation.
- Being a full-fledged framework, not all developers know how to code jQuery, and it requires extensive learning and a highly-skilled professional after mastering it.
- jQuery Ajax methods require additional coding for getting a response from the server by using AJAX requests such as GET or POST.
Advantages and Features of EmberJS
- One of the most valuable features of EmberJS is its usage of templates. It means developers are not required to write many lines of code for creating web pages.
- EmberJS uses the Handlebars library that increases performance by compiling templates into functions during the building process.
- It has a feature called Glimmer that is used to create data-binding templates.
- It is designed for medium and large web applications.
- EmberJS’s routing feature helps developers to write less code for coding the entire website or application route URLs.
Disadvantages of EmberJS
- Developers need to write a lot of codes to use the same feature on different pages. Moreover, it takes more time than ReactJS or Angular 4 to get the same functionality.
- EmberJS is a great framework that brings together all the tools and libraries to build large web applications, but not for small and simple websites.
- EmberJS will work well with HTML and CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap and Foundation. It can be used by developers who want to build a complex web application using a full-fledged front-end framework.
Advantages and Features of Backbonejs
- It is used for building dynamic web pages by giving structure to your HTML code.
- The Backbonejs can be used by developers who want to create websites with minimal functionality. It uses the RESTful API for fetching data from the server side. Hence, it is suitable for developing lightweight single-page applications (SPA).
- It provides flexibility to programmers in coding and debugging their pages. It is used in multiple apps such as web apps, RSS readers, and calendars.
- Backbonejs is widely used by developers to build front-end frameworks like CanJS and Spine with Handlebars or jQuery UI for the user interface (UI) components such as popups, menus, etc. It can be used in building complex web applications.
Disadvantages of Backbonejs
- There is no clear way to create extended functionality in the library. You can add another library such as Underscore or jQuery to use other features not included in it.
- It has many limitations, such as a lack of support for RESTful API calls, file upload, and caching.
- Backbonejs is not a fully-fledged server solution and requires integrating with other frameworks such as Meteor, LoopBack, or Django to provide REST APIs.
Semantic UI Semantic-UI is a modern front-end web development framework to build websites and web apps with HTML and CSS. The best feature of Semantic-UI is that it brings all your components together by giving them the same design and styles at the same time. Moreover, it can be used to create any website with simple HTML codes.
Advantages and Features of Semantic-UI
- It has a unique design for developers who love to use well-arranged codes for making beautiful pages. The main advantage of using Semantic-UI is that it provides the same interface to developers for designing any web application.
- It has components, icons, and templates that are used on all pages of an application. This helps in saving time by removing unnecessary codes from your project. It decreases HTML development time up to 50% as compared to other CSS frameworks.
- Semantic UI can be used by developers to build a responsive web application for any device. It provides a front-end framework with a simple and easy-to-use HTML interface.
- It is widely used for building modern content-rich websites as it comes with many components such as tabs, cards, menus, modals, etc.
Disadvantages of Semantic-UI
- It does not support server-side rendering for search engine optimization (SEO). You need to use an additional plugin for this purpose. This is a minor problem as most developers provide their websites on WordPress, which offers SEO features by default.
B. Back-End Framework
The list of best back-end web development frameworks is given below:
Laravel is a free open-source PHP web development framework. Laravel is regarded as one of the most popular PHP frameworks. All the Laravel source codes can be availed through GitHub under the terms of the MIT license.
Advantages and Features of Laravel
The advantages and features of the Laravel framework are as follows:
- Has a large web development community on GitHub.
- Provides fast development cycles.
- Laravel provides convention over configuration.
- Laravel framework documentation is quite well documented.
- Laravel supports a packaging system with a dedicated dependency manager and provides different ways to access the database.
Disadvantages of Laravel
The disadvantages of the Laravel framework are as follows:
- Quite a slow and new platform for many new developers.
- Fresh developers face problems while executing Laravel codes and classes.
- Community support is less when compared to other platforms.
- Methods included in the reverse routing are very complex.
2. Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails is one of the most famous and reliable open-source MVC frameworks. It was designed to make the development of web applications simple and faster. Moreover, it allows developers to write less significant codes than any other framework.
Advantages and Features of Ruby on Rails
- Ruby on Rails chooses Convention over Configuration.
- Ruby on Rails provides great tooling, which helps developers in delivering more features.
- Libraries for Ruby on Rails are freely available to download.
- Ruby on Rails developer community provides excellent support for test automation.
- The quality of code in Ruby on Rails is reasonable when compared with other development frameworks.
- Any professional developer can use Ruby on Rails to create any web portal.
Disadvantages of Ruby on Rails
- The runtime Speed of Ruby on Rails is very slow when compared with other development frameworks.
- Boot speed is not up to the mark, which hinders its performance.
- It’s tough for a developer to find any documentation related to the codes and configurations in Ruby on Rails.
- Ruby on Rails does not support multithreading like Java and other frameworks do.
3. Spring MVC
Spring MVC is a framework for creating/developing Java applications. Moreover, Spring MVC provides excellent features to build applications on top of the Java EE platform. The Spring MVC framework is open source.
Advantages and Features of Spring MVC
- It’s a lightweight container and can deploy Tomcat servers quickly.
- Deploys Tomcat server on the cross-platform with no dependence on AS.
- Provides lots of API for various domains.
- Can be configured in three ways XML, @nnotation, or java config.
Disadvantages of Spring MVC
- Developers have to add the JAR file to the separate WAR file.
- Spring MVC Java framework is not based on the Java JEE standard.
- Difficulty in getting knowledge of springs.
Django is an open-source full-stacked Python development framework and has support for Python version 3.4. Moreover, it generates the admin panel for configuring the websites made with Python. Django is one of the trending web development frameworks among users.
Advantages and Features of Django
- Django is a well-established framework with many plugins.
- Support for ORM.
- Django supports a clear and defined MVC organization.
- Provides a simple database management system.
- Django is highly customizable when compared with other frameworks.
Disadvantages of Django
- Too big software for small projects.
- Django is a deep learning curve for many developers.
- Processes handle single requests at one time.
Flask is a free, open-source Python web framework. Flask was initially developed by the developers at Pinax, and they released it as an open-source platform in July 2011. The current version of Flask is 0.10.
Advantages and Features of Flask
- The advantages and features that the Flask framework has are as follows:
- Flask has an extensive web development community on the official site.
- Flask is fast and flexible.
- Flask is capable of running on Google App Engine.
Disadvantages of Flask
- Flask is not suitable for large-scale projects.
- Flask doesn’t have built-in form validation.
- It does not support W3C standards and security best practices.
- Flask is comparatively new when compared to other platforms.
- No clear documentation for Flask exists on the web.
Another one of the top web development frameworks in the list is Express.js. It is a free, open-source web framework written in Node.js. Express was developed by the developers at the project management site company called “Node Ladies,” and they released it as an open-source platform in January 2011.
Advantages and Features of Express.js
- Express has a vast web community on Google Groups.
- It is used by many corporate companies, including PayPal, Sony, Uber, Walmart Inc., eBay Inc., etc.
Disadvantages of Express.js
- Express lacks many things, such as a template engine and MVC system.
Advantages and Features of Meteor
- Meteor is very easy to learn and use.
- Meteor provides a complete stack of web development tools and packages.
- Meteor shines as a complete framework that makes it easy to build, test and deploy production web applications.
- The structure of an application built with Meteor is simple, where you can split the codebase between client and server without compromising how they communicate with each other.
Disadvantages of Meteor
- It does not have much control mechanism over the order of loading files, making it hard to arrange files sometimes.
- Not-so-obvious method of deployment to own server.
Both web development frameworks are prevalent among developers. So it depends on the businesses and clients to select the best suitable framework for their web portal development. On the back-end, web development framework side, all the frameworks are best, and it depends on clients on which framework they want to create their web portal. Moreover, they should gather the requirements and then select the framework for developing the web portal.
On the front-end web development side, if you want a simple-looking website, then it would be an ideal choice for you. Angular and ReactJS are very popular among developers in front-end web development frameworks. Whereas, Vue.js is the least popular among them.