Time tracking software can be beneficial for developers because it allows them to track their time spent on each project, client, and task. This will enable them to spend more time working and less time recording what they’ve done—but which software options are best?
Here are ten wonderful time tracking software for developers to consider, no matter what type of development you do or what your preferences are in terms of interface and features.
You’ll find that some of these apps work better than others depending on your needs, but any of them will save you time compared to manual time-keeping methods.
Table of Contents
Top 11 Outstanding Time Tracking Software for Developers
Workstatus is an excellent developer time tracking software for project managers who want to know exactly how much time their team is spending on tasks. It provides an easy way to keep track of work progress and ensure everyone is on the same page.
By using Workstatus, you can:
- Get an overview of how much time your team is spending on each task
- See which tasks are taking longer than expected
- Identify areas where your team might be able to improve efficiency
Let’s review some of Workstatus’ key features that make it invaluable for software programmers and developers:
a. Time Tracking
Workstatus’ time tracking feature is a great way to track how much time you spend on each task or project. You can also use it to track the time you spend on client work so that you can bill them accurately.
The time tracking feature is easy to use. Just click the start button when you begin working on a task, and click again when you finish. Workstatus will automatically calculate the total time spent on that task. You can add notes about what you were working on to have a record of your work.
b. Productivity Reports
The Productivity Reports is a prominent feature for project managers to monitor developers’ productivity. This feature allows you to see how much time developers spend on each task and which tasks are taking up the most time to improve efficiency and productivity in the workplace. Along with real-time reports, get the following to enhance the efficiency of your development team:
- Weekly reports
- Job site reports
- Time and activity reports
- Instant notifications
- Manage timesheets online
It can help businesses identify which developers are slacking off or not working to their potential. Overall, the productivity reports feature is a valuable tool to optimize operations and get the most out of your employees.
c. Idle Time Tracking
If you’re a developer, you know that idle time tracking can be a valuable tool for managing your time and productivity. And if you’re looking for a tool to help you with that, Workstatus is worth checking out.
Idle time tracking is a feature of Workstatus that lets you see how much time you spend on each task and how much time you spent idle. That way, if you spend too much time on low-priority tasks, you can adjust your workflow accordingly.
The Workstatus screenshots feature is a great way to track time and monitor employee activity. When screenshots are enabled, Workstatus takes a screenshot of the developers’ screen every 10 minutes (customizable). This lets you see what the development team is working on and whether they follow your rules and regulations.
The screenshots also act as a time-tracking tool. You can use them to help you verify that employees work the correct number of hours each week and that they’re not spending their time on non-work-related tasks.
e. Invoice Management
Workstatus’ invoice management feature is a lifesaver for full-time developers and freelancers. It lets you create and send invoices straight from the app and track payments, so you always know where you stand.
Plus, you can customize your invoices with your branding, logos, and messages. With Workstatus, there’s no need to worry about missed or late payments ever again!
- Free Forever Package: $0 forever
- Starter Package: $4.99 /user/month
- Scale Package: $9.99 /user/month
- Enterprise Package: $18 /user/month
2. Toggl Track
Toggl is a great employee time tracking app. It’s easy to use and helps you get a good overview of your time. You can put in what you’re working on to keep track of your time. This is helpful if you need to bill clients by the hour or ensure you’re not spending too much time on any task.
- Export data to CSV for further analysis
- Easily track time by project or client
- Get real-time updates on how much time is left for a project
- The timer interface is minimalist and easy to use
- Free version
- Starter: $9
- Premium: $18
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
TimeAnalytics is a powerful employee time tracking software that helps businesses optimize their time usage and productivity. It provides comprehensive reports on employee time, tasks, and activities so that managers can identify areas of improvement. It also offers a wide range of features to help businesses manage their time more effectively, such as task scheduling, project management, and more.
- Set goals and alerts to stay on track
- Get detailed reports and graphs to see how you’re performing over time
- Customize the software to fit your team’s needs
- A user-friendly interface that makes it easy to get started right away
- Free: $0/person/month
- Starter: $4.99/person/month
- Optimum: $6.99/person/month
- Premium: $12.99/person/month
Harvest time tracking software helps development teams to keep tabs on time spent on any specific project, making it easier to calculate how much money a company spends on a project and how long it took employees to complete the project.
- Get insight for better performance
- Keep tracking at fingertips with mobile and desktop apps
- Track time consistently with automated reminders
- Easy integration with other tools
- Free trial: 30 days
- Free: $0 forever, 1 seat, and 2 projects
- Pro: $12/seat/month, unlimited seats and projects
TimeCamp is a versatile developer time tracking software that can be used for various purposes. One of its main features is its ability to record time spent on different projects, making it perfect for software developers. It has several other valuable features, such as invoicing, screenshots, and billable hours. All of this makes TimeCamp an essential tool for anyone who wants to keep track of their time and work more efficiently.
- It is an affordable and easy-to-use interface
- It makes project management simple and straightforward
- Tracks attendance automatically
- Free: $0
- Basic: $5.25/user/month
- Pro: $7.50/user/month
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Hubstaff is the best time tracking software that helps developers manage their time more effectively. It provides accurate, real-time data on how employees are spending their time, so development teams can optimize their workflow and get more done.
- Track user activity levels to see who is working the most and who might need a little extra
- Easy to create payment schedules
- Get in-depth reports
- Desk Free: $0 for one user only
- Desk Starter: $7/user/month
- Desk Pro: $10/user/month
Timely tracking software is a great way to monitor how your development teams spend their time. By tracking where the time goes, you can start to change how you spend it and see improvements in the overall productivity of developers.
- Get real-time updates
- It has a user-friendly interface
- Get detailed reports
- Starter: $8/user/month
- Premium: $14/user/month
- Unlimited: $20/user/month
Clockify is the most popular time for tracking software on the market. It’s easy to use and can be accessed from any device or computer. You can track time for individual tasks, projects, or clients and create reports to help you stay on top of your productivity.
- It is accurate and reliable
- It is flexible
- It comes with a desktop app and a mobile app to track time wherever you are
- Basic: $3.99/user/month
- Standard: $5.49/user/month
- Pro: $7.99/user/month
- Enterprise: $11.99/user/month
actiTime tracking software is a comprehensive yet easy-to-use time-tracking solution that helps businesses and freelancers manage their time more effectively. Its features include project management, team collaboration, invoicing, and timesheets. In short, it is the perfect tool for anyone who wants to streamline their work process and get more done in less time.
- Customizable time tracking
- Robust reporting capabilities
- Accurate time tracking
- 1-3 users: Free
- 1-40 users: $6
- 41-200 users: $5
- 200+ users: Contact for pricing
10. Time Doctor
Time doctor software is a great tool to help you keep track of developers’ time and increase your productivity. It can easily monitor how much time you spend on the task, prevent distractions, reward yourself for concentrating, and, much more importantly, review your data to help locate time loss behaviors.
- Automatic screenshots to track progress on projects
- Ability to bill clients for the time tracked
- Better invoice management
- Basic: $7/month, 1 user
- Standard: $10/month, 1 user
- Premium: $20/month, 1 user
Apploye is one of the best time-tracking software in the market. The user-friendly UI makes it easy for developers to log work hours on projects and tasks. It allows developers to give proof of work with screenshots and idle time tracking features. Apploye can also be used to efficiently manage employees, streamline payroll processes and invoice clients.
- Beautiful and user-friendly interface
- Track time accurately, with optional screenshots
- Check and export detailed reports
- Invoice clients, and manage payroll
- Solo: $4/user/month
- Standard: $5/user/month
- Premium: $6/user/month
- Elite: $7/user/month
While time tracking software is not an essential part of the development process, it can be a valuable tool to help developers become more efficient and accurate. Based on our research and user feedback, we have highlighted ten of the best time tracking software options for developers. We hope this article has helped you find the right time tracking software for your needs.
We have selected Workstatus and Time Doctor as the best time tracking software for developers.
Have you tried any of these tools? What was your experience? Let us know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading!!