How to Create an App like Instashop?
As per a study conducted by Forbes, it is estimated that grocery apps usage will increase by almost 50% by individuals and people will order food from online grocery and food stores.
One of the major reasons is the convenience that individuals get with such apps. People are loving the fact that they can easily order fresh food from the online grocery apps and get it delivered at their doorsteps without any hassle. What’s the best part? They need not to go anywhere.
The ‘’click and get model’’ is what becoming quite famous among the users. Apart from this, there are also some grocery apps that allow you to “order and collect from store option”. This becomes beneficial to the users who personally need to check the quality and freshness of the products like meat and vegetables. This develops trust and connection between the shopkeeper and the buyer.
Market growth of grocery apps
The stats show the online grocery shopping sales in the US from 2012 to 2021. It is estimated that the sales would reach about $29.7 Billion by the year 2021.
Hence, with these figures and stats, it is quite evident that the future of grocery delivery apps will shine in the coming years.
So, if you are an entrepreneur or a business owner, considering the popularity and growth of online grocery apps, it is beneficial for you to invest in a good online grocery app and hire app developers for this task.
However, if you are looking to invest in or create a grocery app, it is necessary for you to know what exactly is an online grocery shop, its benefits and how to create it to gain the maximum benefits in your business.
Wish to start an online grocery business & develop an app like Instashop?
In order to make your task easy, I will explain to you how you can create an app like Instashop.
What is Instashop?
Instashop is an online grocery delivery app that offers you a seamless grocery experience by ordering groceries to your doorstep in less than 30 mins. You need not go to the supermarket and just order them at your convenience without any problem. Not only grocery, but it also provides you the cleaning professionals within 2 hours.
Let’s go a bit in detail about the app so that you get to know what all sections need to be included in a grocery app.
- A great UI/UX: An app should provide great feel and efficiency to the user. Hence, it is very important to focus on the look and design of the app. A crisp and feature-rich app enables the user to sign up and register easily.
- Categorization of the products is important: To provide a great shopping experience to the customers and help them properly choose the kind of groceries they need, the classification of the products is important. This is best in the Instashop app.
Moreover, it allows the customers to prioritize the items as per their needs. Hence, customers can choose the needed products fast.
- Various payment methods: It is necessary to include various modes of payments in a grocery app to provide instant and secure transactions to the users. If in any case, the transaction gets declined and the amount gets deducted from the user’s account, the money is refunded back to the source account of the user.
- A Powerful backend: A powerful backend is necessary so that the store owner has control over the functioning of the application and can also manage the stock of the products.
Other features that make this app unique are on-time delivery of the products, advanced search options, store locator, etc.
How does a grocery app work?
Here is an image explaining the working of a grocery app:
Check this complete case study on how a grocery app like Living Organic was created.
Does an app like Instashop give a boost to your business?
Do I really need a grocery app?
What benefits does it hold for my business?
Will I be able to make money?
These are common questions everyone has before investing their time & money to create an app (at least I did). Find the answers here.
What are the benefits of having a grocery app like Instashop?
As per a report, the number of downloads for mobile apps has been steadily increasing from the past few years. This number is projected to grow to about $258 billion by the year 2022.
As per the same report, mobile apps are projected to hit $ 188.9 Billion in revenue by the year 2020.
Hence, it is smart to invest in a mobile app like grocery since food is a basic necessity of every individual and every individual would start using an online grocery app in the near future.
Benefits that the businesses get with the grocery apps:
As per a report by CNBC, online grocery sales will hold 20% of the market by the year 2025. According to another report, the usage of online grocery apps will increase by 70% by 2025.
- Direct contact: With the help of an online grocery app, the retailers can have direct contact with the app owners and they can list their products listed online. They need not rent a shop to sell their products, this saves their money.
- Build better customer relationships: The online grocery apps can help you get feedback from the customers and collect more data. What products you put on display for your audience matters a lot to build your online presence. Hence, with the online apps, you can get direct feedback from the customers and implement the changes accordingly as per their preferences.
How can you create an online grocery app?
Here, I am going to explain the several steps included in creating the online grocery apps. What factors you need to keep in mind when developing a grocery app. How much does it cost to develop a grocery app, how can you earn from these apps, etc?
Below mentioned are the factors that you must keep in mind when creating a grocery app:
- Understand what sort of business model do you need for a grocery app
- Fix the particular type (customer, administrator, delivery person) of the app that you need for your business
- Understand the customer’s pain area and design the app
- Important features that you need
- Set a monetization strategy to earn from your app
- The cost involved developing a grocery app
Let’s explore each of these points in detail:
- What business model should you choose: In the world of grocery apps, there are four types of apps that you must know about.
- Understand the type- Customer app, administrator app, delivery person’s app: When creating a grocery app, you can’t just choose the business model and get done with it. Every app has three sides.
App for the delivery person
This is the app for the customer
This is controlled by the admin of the delivery app
This is for the person making the delivery
User must be able to sign in, set the profile, be able to choose the particular store to order from, be able to use the location feature to add the complete address, able to use the search filter, add the product to the cart, finally be able to move to the payment section.
Admin should be able to view the complete order list & notify the stores about them, managing inventory feature needs to be added, as per availability admin must be able to accept/reject an order, stores must be able to get complete amount once the delivery is done.
The delivery person should be able to sign in the app, there should be a list of completed deliveries and online deliveries, notification to let them know when they receive a new order, a feature of turning on/off delivery status, GPS navigation to find the location of store and delivery address.
Different kinds of payment methods for the users to choose from, wallet-optional feature, return/refund option, able to schedule the order as per their convenience, real-time order tracking, previous orders information, many other features like- add reviews, ratings, check deals, offers, chat/call to customer support
The admin should be able to read the ratings and reviews provided by the customers on services and products
Messaging feature for the customer to connect with the delivery person, get the payment easily after the delivery, must be able to check the history of the orders that are received and delivered.
- Understand the pain area of the customer: Just like any other app, you must understand the pain area of your targeted audience. In the case of an online grocery app, you must ask these questions to yourself: Why would anyone use an online grocery app? What are the benefits of an online app providing to the customers as compared to the stores?
Once you get answers to these questions, you need to stay one step ahead in the design process. You need to provide a better design to make the shopping experience smooth and easy for the user.
- Best UI/UX and design of the app: You can check below the design of a famous online grocery app in India- Bigbasket. They have focussed on a clean and crisp design of the app so that it is easily visible to the users. They have also used vibrant colors in the design to make the app look fresh. You can check their full case study here. Remember, the more clean and vibrant your app is, the more people will love it.
- Become friends with your competitors: Sounds weird? But this can be a smart move indeed. You must install and use the grocery apps of your competitors who are doing great in the market to understand their process and flow. Consider yourself as the user and jot down the best and worst features of their apps. Once you get them, implement the features that are missing in your grocery app to make it stand out in the crowd.
- Provide personalized experience to the users: People want their needs to be heard. Hence, it is very important to keep the needs of the users in priority while designing a grocery app. Make use of technologies like AI, Machine Learning in your app to give a personalized experience to the users and understand their preferences. You can provide them deals and offers on products they frequently buy.
- Other important features to add in your app: When you hire app developers for your grocery app, you must explain to them these extra features to be added in the app:
- Shopping list feature: So that the customers can add the products they need to buy later
- Quick and smooth search: Properly categorize your products in the app so that it becomes easy for the user to search for a particular product. Finding a biscuit under the vegetable category is really awful. So, properly categorize the products.
- Add to cart: One of the obvious features. People will add products to the cart and buy them sooner or later.
- Deals and offers, payment options, order tracking, scheduled delivery time, ratings and reviews, emergency delivery – these are some of the common features that must be added.
- Monetization of your app: Why are you creating an app? To get some ROI in your app. Here’s how to use apps like Instashop to make money. Follow these ideas to make money from your app:
- Upcharge the item: This is one of the common monetization strategies that every online grocery app owner uses. You may use it for your platform as well. You can upcharge a product.
- Add delivery charges: This is another monetization idea. You can set the delivery charge as per the location. If the delivery location is near, you may deliver the products without any extra charge. If it is far from the set distance, you may add the delivery charges.
- Commission from the store owners: This strategy can be used when using the aggregator model. You can charge a small commission to every store owner that is listed on your app.
- Special advertising tricks: You can run ads on your app for the stores listed and get money from the store owners.
What programming languages you need to use when developing a grocery app?
If you are a coder/developer and have knowledge about various programming languages, you can create a grocery app on your own as per your preferences. However, if you do not have knowledge about the languages, you can hire a renowned and reputed software app development company for the best app development.
Now, if you are a businessman and looking to develop a grocery app, you must be wanting to know the cost involved in the app development.
The grocery app development cost in India and the US depends on various aspects. Though it is comparatively cheaper to get a grocery app developed from a country like India, it is difficult to estimate the exact cost of grocery app development. There are many factors that need to be considered when determining the cost involved in the grocery app development: Platform, business model, features, functionality, time frame, etc.
Here’s an estimate how much days/months would it take to develop a grocery app:
- Customer mobile app: Android/ iOS:30-40 Days
- Admin app: Android/iOS: 20-30 Days
- Delivery app: 40-45 Days
- API synchronization: 35-40 Days
So, the question still remains. Is a grocery app really worth it? The answer will be definitely YES! With all the hype and buzz around, it has become essential to invest in grocery apps. People nowadays are considering to order everything online due to the convenience and comfort these apps provide.
With the best online grocery apps like Grofers, Bigbasket, Grocway, individuals now have an easier and comfortable way of getting groceries at their doorstep.
So, if you are someone looking to develop a grocery app, make sure to search well and hire a popular software development company that understands your concerns. Hire app developers as per your budget and requirements and create the best app that will rule the online world in the near future.
You can also connect with us to get free consultation services and get your desired app developed at 60% less cost and stipulated time frame.
All the best!!